Evil takes many forms in our world—all the different kinds of sin people commit, and all the forms of suffering they experience.
Sometimes evil is subtle and unnoticed, but other times it is shocking, obvious, and undeniable. When that happens, people invariably ask the same question . . .
Why would a good God allow this to happen?
This is what philosophers and theologians call “the problem of evil,” but you don’t have to be a philosopher or a theologian to feel the force of the argument. At one point or another in life, everyone feels the weight of this argument.
Many people have lost their faith because of it. Others have been tormented by doubts, particularly when they or a loved one are suffering.
That makes the problem of evil the greatest challenge to the Faith.
And that’s why I recently recorded a DVD in which I tackle the problem head on.
I’m Jimmy Akin, and in The Problem of Evil,I draw on my decades of experience to cover the key aspects of the problem:
- I explain what it is and why it’s so important
- I cover the failed answers that you should neveroffer anyone
- I show you what the Church teaches about evil and why God allows it
- I offer seven key insights that you can offer people who find their faith wavering—or who have lost their faith altogether—because of sin and suffering
- And I show you how you can turn the problem of evil on its head and use it against skeptics