11 ways to overcome temptations according to the Bible.
1. I have often said that there are several temptations that do not require much internal as external actions. One of which is RUNNING away, physically removing oneself from the an occasion of sin can prevent the commission or even the struggle with temptation entirely.
“She caught him by his cloak and said, “Come to bed with me!” But he left his cloak in her hand and ran out of the house.” -Gen 39:12
2. Dedicate your thoughts and heart to God as often as you can. I find that doing this meditation on the name of Jesus could be very helpful.
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” -Phil 4:8
3. Overcome selfishness
“and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.” -1 Cor 3:23
4. Be ready, be prepared.
“Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” -Eph 6:13
5. Remember sin brings eternal death and breaks you away from the Church.
“The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.” -Gal5:19-21Advertisement
6. Reading the Bible and other spiritual books can be a very helpful tool to keeping you strong against temptations.
“He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” -Luke 11:28
7. Cultivate a sense of God’s presence in prayer. A very powerful exercise is calling the name of Jesus as many times as you can as your heart moves with love and devotion. Be conscious of his love and presence in you and around you.
“Go near and listen to all that the LORD our God says. Then tell us whatever the LORD our God tells you. We will listen and obey.” -Deut 5:27
8. Go to confession regularly. It is advisable to have one confessor to better keep track of your improvements and make sense of your proclivities and problems.
“Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” -James 5:16
9. How much do you know the devil and his tactics? Learn the most valuable spiritual structures of your soul and how the enemy works to dismantle them.
“Our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.Therefore take up the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.” -Eph 6:12-13
10. Remember your heavenly home and the promises of Jesus.
“Blessed is anyone who endures temptation. Such a one has stood the test and will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” -James 1:12
11. The most powerful: receive Jesus very often to consinually bring your soul in union with God.
“Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me.” -John 6:56-57
Inspired by a post on Aggie Catholic