Want to pray for him, but don’t know where to start?
Are you at a loss for words when it comes to praying for your husband? Here are 7 tips — and prayers — to ask for God’s intercession on his behalf.
1. That my spouse might know God’s love[That] Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3: 17-19)
Prayer: Dear Lord, I place myself in your presence to ask that you might envelop the heart of my spouse with your Sacred Heart. Place in his heart a great trust in you.
May he be rooted and grounded in love and may all of the love you wish to give him bloom in our lives. May my spouse know your infinite and endless mercy so that he might understand that your love is real … more real than any passing experience of this life.
2. That my spouse might lead our matrimony in holiness
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her… So [also] husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. (Ephesians 5:25,28)
Prayer: Heavenly Father, you have willed that my husband should find holiness through the gift of matrimony. Fill his heart with the love of your own heart, that he might fulfill his vocation, in imitation of you.
3. That my spouse might know you so that our children can learn of you through him
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up with the training and instruction of the Lord. (Ephesians 6:4)
Prayer: Holy Spirit, fill the heart of my husband with your peace so that he is a faithful reflection of your love for our children. Give him patience and wisdom to know how to raise our children in virtue and faith. Give him your gift of counsel, so that he might guide our children and know how to encourage them to stay close to you.
4. That you protect his heart
My son, to my words be attentive,
to my sayings incline your ear;
Let them not slip from your sight,
keep them within your heart;
For they are life to those who find them,
bringing health to one’s whole being.
With all vigilance guard your heart,
for in it are the sources of life.
Prayer: Jesus, help my spouse to pay special attention to your words, that your truth might reach deep into his soul and make him understand the great calling you have for him.
Protect his heart from the many trinkets the world offers, which are so unimportant in the light of eternity. Do not allow anyone to tempt him to dark paths. Abide in him and guide his steps for his own good and for the good of our family.
5. That he might use what we’ve been given for the good of the family
My God will fully supply whatever you need, in accord with his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
Prayer: Lord, you know well what we need. I ask that you always give my husband the grace to use our funds wisely, to help us to be generous with the needy, to make us poor in spirit, and to keep us from ever lacking our daily bread. Amen.
6. May he be the man you have called him to be
Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith, be courageous, be strong. Your every act should be done with love. (1 Corinthians 16:13-14)
Prayer: Dear Father, I entrust to you every decision that my husband makes, all of his projects, and his very life. I entrust to you all of his worries. I ask you to keep him strong and protected in the shadow of your love, keeping him firm in the faith. I ask you to make him the man you have called him to be: courageous, joyful and generous, a man of true strength. May he grow in faith, hope and charity.
7. May he be filled with wisdom, knowledge and discernment[I] do not cease giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation resulting in knowledge of him. May the eyes of [your] hearts be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope that belongs to his call, what are the riches of glory in his inheritance among the holy ones, and what is the surpassing greatness of his power for us who believe, in accord with the exercise of his great might. (Ephesians 1:16-19)
But if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and he will be given it. (James 1:5)
Prayer: My Lord, you who went through the world doing good, I ask that you give my husband the grace to follow in your footsteps. I ask that you give him the strength to take each step in wisdom, knowing that his choices affect our family. Enlighten his heart with the light of your Holy Spirit so that he may walk firmly and with confidence through whatever trials arise. Fill him with the knowledge of your truth. Amen.
Virgin Mary, my Mother, cover my husband with your mantle, obtain for him the graces necessary to be a protector of our family as St. Joseph was for yours. With your maternal embrace, O Mary, make him feel secure and may he never be left alone. Amen.